Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pleasures of Exile



The ship’s resident marine biologist admits he was drawn to the study of sea life after watching the black and white Tarzan movies, where the hero falls into a giant clam and struggle between man and, well, giant clam ensues. Such a film plot wouldn’t inspire me to become a marine biologist; it would inspire me to write better movies. But he looks like a natural whale watcher; he has a wondering eye.







“Tomorrow, we’ll be in Mauritius! Ah Paradise ! Paradise is wonderful AND beautiful…, ” another professor goes on. She’s rehearsed this lecture in front of her mirror (girls can tell.) I use the term lecture loosely. I wouldn’t consider an hour’s time of elusive idioms to be educational.

She’s having a go at her interpretation of the Mark Twain quote, “… Heaven was copied after Mauritius.” Twain operates on what I just now recognize as Credo quia absurdum, and so, during this time abroad, do I. I’m afraid I move through days believing I am entitled to forget and start over--my litany of observations. This may be a parable of either my life at sea, or my life itself. Paradise is all in the mind. I’ve come to understand. It cannot exist independently of it.

As a result, I jumped aboard an orange catamaran in academic pursuit of finding the mythical clam, and this fabled paradise—just another day. I went snorkeling through schools of electric blue fish. I dove down farther, scraping my belly on the ocean floor. I saw an albino eel. I swam as far as I could until I could no longer hear the boat’s reggae music, and I no longer had the energy to swim. I floated on my back and made snow angels in the Indian Ocean. I started to cry so I put my snorkeling mask back on, and fogged up my goggles.


My ideal island would have lots of sand, and coconuts, and jungle and no people.


No comments:

Post a Comment